Friday, October 9, 2026

Nice Light Leak by Jon Marmor

 

© 2026 Jon Marmor, Nice Light Leak; Seattle, WA, USA; Kodak Baby Brownie Special, Kodak Gold 200 

 

Every Thursday night, I ride the light rail train down to South Seattle to meet my oldest daughter for dinner. Specifically, slices of pizza at our favorite place, Stevie's Famous. In Seattle's old and diverse Beacon Hill neighborhood is a real-live dive bar named the Clock-Out. It is famous for the (very) loud live music performances it hosts. At the end of the bar is the Stevie's Famous counter, where we get our slices, cans of root beer and take a seat before the show begins.
 
Lately, I have brought my old Kodak Baby Brownie Special camera with me. It's the small, boxy black plastic camera that fits in the palm of your hand and has the world's smallest viewfinder. I loaded it with a roll of Kodak Gold 200 film and started shooting the storefronts of one city block -- the dive bar, a Vietnamese hair salon, a Vietnamese fish store. As usual, I sent my film off to the lab, but seven of the eight frames were really infected with light leaks. Ordinarily, I welcome light leaks but this was a bit out of the ordinary. However, one frame of the turquoise-painted Vietnamese fish shop contained a vertical slice of the storefront splitting two large vertical swaths of bright, light leak panels. Not what I had planned but what the heck? Part of what we are after is the surprises we find on our film (and scans), for they often make me say, Oh no, hey, wait a second, that's pretty darn neat.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment