Monday, April 1, 2019

Question about using Kodak Baby Brownie Special

127 Film Photography received this query from Shawna Jensen. Please feel free to respond with suggestions in the comments section of this post.

*                                                                              *                                                                    *

I am a professional photographer shooting in digital, but I collect all kinds of cameras and have recently taken up film photography. I acquired my grandmother's old Kodak Baby Brownie Special camera, shot with it on Rerapan 400 film, and developed it myself. Below are 3 of the shots I got from the roll and was wanting some advice. Do I need to clean the lens better? Should I use a different film type? Or is this camera just super foggy? I know I was shaky on some shots, but I think I can do better. Basically I would like some constructive criticism or tips.




4 comments:

  1. Overexposure might be a factor. Cameras of this type were designed for much slower film, and according to online sources the Baby Brownie Special is f/11 1/40 (aperture and shutter speed), which would be plenty for 100 speed film. I know new 100 speed black and white film is unavailable at the moment, unless you find remaining stock of the discontinued Rerapan 100. This is where the fun begins, and you start searching Ebay for old Verichrome Pan (which is still very usable if you find some)!.

    Checking the lens again might be helpful. I don't have one these in front of me at the moment, but it may be possible to get at the lens from inside with some minor disassembly (I wouldn't risk breaking anything, though).

    There is the Rerachrome 100 film, but I wouldn't recommend it for this camera as it is a slide film and will get blown out at f/11 1/40.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Special was my first camera. I didn't get good pictures from it at the age of eight or nine, but I have since seen some nice images made with the little Kodak. There is a pdf manual available at http://www.brownie-camera.com/manuals/babybspecial.pdf. It says you should not get closer than five feet to your subject for sharp results, though I think that may be a little optimistic. There was a close-up attachment which allowed portraits at about 3.5 feet. While the camera does not have a B setting, by working with care from inside the camera you can probably keep the shutter from closing to allow cleaning of the inner lens surface.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments. I will try to get at the lens inside to see if I can clean it. And yes, at the time they were out of the rerapan 100 film so I opted for the 400. I do know I had some shake whilst taking the pictures (it is quite an awkward camera to hold), so I will keep practicing with that. I did read the Manual and noticed the 5 feet thing so I may have been a little close. I am experimenting with my second film right now (still rerapan 400) so with a couple of changes hopefully I get better results. Anyways thanks again for your input I reallly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see the potential of this community being realized in this way!

    ReplyDelete